Unit X- Lines of Enquiry/Investigations (4 of 6)

(4 of 6 Unit X Posts)

As a group we decided to develop our work by being more collaborative, therefore created the workshops. For example, I taught the group paper cutting and how to make shapes from paper. Although the craft I have chosen is Jewellery, I am using the paper shapes as the equivalent of the diamonds in a piece of traditional jewellery; somewhat reinventing the craft. I also used the marbling workshop led by Maisie to dip my paper shapes. We took the idea of bringing our work to each workshop which allowed us to mix, combine and collaborate with each other. We also made pieces together from scratch like the concrete blocks and tubes because we wanted them to work throughout our final pieces.

We had many key developments throughout the project. I think by doing the workshops it brought us more together as a group which allowed us to be more free with each others work and not to be as precious with our own. They also exposed us to new ideas because we were constantly trying new combinations of materials and techniques together.

The impact of collaboration on my methods allowed me to have a few unexpected developments because by doing the marbling workshop, this led me to scan Maisie's prints and use them to make the 3D shapes rather than my own prints. This helped to balance and have a more similar colour palette. The cement workshop which was led by Natalie also really impacted my work because I wanted to test what it would look like to have the cement 'dripping' down and around the paper shapes. We found that this worked well so I tested it on a variety of shapes, colour palettes and patterns.

The creative processes that I have undertaken are to not be so precious about mine or someone else's work. I think this is because we did a lot of making and experimenting together; finding some of the things that went wrong, to be the best parts.

For our plan of action we have decided we want to have a city plan/model using all of our samples together. By using the contrast material, soft and hard, weak and strong, we wanted to show how buildings aren't very sustainable and aren't necessarily made to last. For the layout we have took inspiration from Bethany Stafford due to the landscape and structural space she uses.




More Artists Research/Influences:


Zoe Robertson

Nava Lubelski

Jeremy Leeming

Aldo Chaparro

Laurent Grasso

Comments

Popular Posts