Weaving Progress

This is a picture I took in London which I will use to inspire the colour palette for my weaves.

Preparing the warp using the darker tones from my colour palette.

Experimenting with a range of textures and materials which will best represent my theme of focused and unfocused.

I feel I was experimenting more with the texture for this weave and experimenting how much control I have of the weft and what I could do with it.

Adding metallics to break up the colours more and add contrast. They represent the Christmas lights from the photograph.

(Back of weave)

Instead of using bold metallics I limited them down and made them more random and the Christmas lights in the photograph  are more all over the place rather than being the only main focus. I feel the back of my weave was more successful than the front in representing my theme; I will most likely use the back as one of my final samples.

(Back of weave)

I started testing out mohair for the unfocused side of my theme to contrast with the focused structure of the rest of the weave. I will wash this once of the loom to see how the mohair will react.

Then I decided to experiment with felt, although the colours don't match my colour palette as well as the wool does, I wanted to see how it would work and react when washed.

For this weave I mixed yellow cotton either the clementine wool to not make the colour look as flat. Then I did twills with all colours including the mohair as they give off a bold effect and allow a lot of yarn to be in the surface, which is good for when I wash it.

I wanted to test this pattern out to see the contrast of the yarns going to the back of the warp rather than the front.

I added white to this weave to link to my paper weaves that were either on the more lighter side or darker side. I feel that the white breaks up the colours. I also used the technique from the last sample for the metallic cords so they would float at the back instead of the front so they are more subtle. The idea of them floating at the back came from looking at the bolder sample from above where they were at the front but the back of the sample becoming an idea for a new sample. This sample has great potential for being a final sample.

(Back of weave)

For this weave I developed it from the previous one by not cutting the edges of the metallic cords and keeping them connected throughout. I also added metallic colours to the white yarn to lighten it up. I didn't use blue in the weft as I let the blue warp show through. Like the previous weave, this one has the potential to be a final sample as it ties in well with the theme and colour palette.

(Back of weave)

I developed this weave from the previous weave which I used mohair, but used the mohair more repetitively, whilst adding yellow to the clementine wool and the white and metallic colours to the blue. This gave this sample a more soft, comforting texture which would work well in an interior style concept. This will definitely be used as one of my final samples.

(Back of weave)

I wanted to experiment with ribbon to reciprocate the sample that I used felt in, by going for a more softer subtle approach with the ribbon, along with taking the idea of them floating like the starting image.

From the previous sample, the floating ribbon didn't work too well but the locked in strips of ribbon did, so I incorporated that into this weave as well as doing the twill going in both directions. This will also be one of my final samples.

For my final weave I wanted to see what it looked like to incorporate a range of the techniques and materials I've used in all of my previous samples. I think I was too strong on the clementine and yellow colour; it overpowered the weave. I like it as a sample but I don't think it fits in well with my other final samples.


Comments

Popular Posts