Evaluation-Sampling Unit

Evaluation-Sampling Unit

For the Sampling unit my ordered opposites words were focused and unfocused. I felt these words suited my research based on the images I had taken in London; some due to weather and some due to accidentally taking a few blurry pictures…

I chose to use wool for my warp, based on my ordered opposites words and the way the fibres would react once the samples have been washed. Upon using wool through most of the weft, when I washed them they became fuzzy, so represented the unfocused side well. Then I used cotton intertwined with the wool to get across the focused side, which stayed the same after being washed. I put thick metallic cords through the weft but discovered it was too much to represent the image I was working from because the metallic parts were more random; from this I decided to use smaller cords and put them to the back of the weaves. The weaves I was producing were looking dull so I added white; this broke the weaves up more and made them look more finalised. 

I found that planning my weaves in my sketchbook and technical file helped me to stay organised throughout this unit. I looked at Wallace & Sewell and Margo Selby’s work because I like the commercial and interior side of the weave industry. I'm happy with my final samples and feel like I have gone through a process of changing things and trying new yarns to get the theme across. I think my weaves best suit interior/furnishing. Although I really like weave I feel I may be more suited to embroidery; for the next brief I would like to either be more embroidery based or include embroidery techniques into weave.

Comments

Popular Posts