Unit X- Reflection/Evaluation and Contextualisation (6 of 6)

(6 of 6 Unit X Posts)

When reflecting on Unit X, I've found that I have learnt a lot more about the importance of the crafts that are on the endangered crafts Radcliffe Red List, along with the importance of keeping them alive. Before I chose Jewellery Making as the craft I wanted to explore, I discovered that I didn't know a lot of the crafts on the list were endangered, like ceramics, embroidery and weaving.

My engagement throughout primary research was an important part for development because using photos of places I had been helped me to look at a variety of shapes in the architecture. Engaging in the workshops we created as a group helped all of us to lead and teach each other, it helped us to bond more as a group which allowed us to produce better group work rather than a piece that belonged to one person. After the workshops, anything we made was influenced by someone else's craft which allowed there to always be some kind of connection. I feel like as a group we engaged really well with each other, we enjoyed working together and worked well when getting over problems that occurred throughout.

We chose a lot of our materials based on the use of hard and soft materials against each other, reflecting on how architecture isn't extremely sustainable. The use of concrete was brought in because it's used in buildings and is supposed to be a strong material; we found that it is easily breakable and cracked throughout a couple of samples. We used a lot of wool and thread throughout our work in relation to keeping the traditional aspect of the crafts we had chosen. I think the main aspect we should have established earlier in the project was the colour palette because we originally had a wide range of colours in the colour palette as seen in post one. We had all chosen a selection of colours from it which led some of our work to look odd next to each other. From our final pieces that went into the exhibition, we discovered that that they were the right colours to represent our group, they also worked very well together.

As a group we all communicated very well and had regular meetings, making days and always communicating by sending messages to the group if we had ideas, problems or if someone needed help. I think I communicated my ideas well and felt that I had a good amount of participation to the group. We took on ideas that everyone said and evaluated them together as a group. Everyone in the group has their strong skills and weak skills; as Danji is a graphic designer, she was in charge of the book because she was the strongest at that. The rest of us took pictures and gathered them together for the book along with the writing. This is a prime example of how we worked as a group when working to our own strengths. I am also a very indecisive person so having people in the group like Erum helped me to work against what I consider a weakness of mine. I took the role in a lot of the finalising closer to the end of project, like making sure the paper was cut perfect for the book ready to be printed on. I felt that we were all very good at listening to each other, which helped us develop our work in a consistent manner.

The main thing I learnt and will take away from this project is to not be afraid of working with materials I've never worked with before because even when things go wrong, sometimes the accidents and the things that aren't intentional are the best pieces that have been produced. I also like working with these traditional crafts and might consider taking the jewellery making further, experimenting with a variety of materials.

For the final pieces that went into the exhibition we concentrated on three craft; rug ragging, weaving and marbling. My contribution to the final pieces was to cut all of the metal pieces that was going to have rug ragging put through the holes, the cutting of the metal linked to the endangered craft I chosen, that being Jewellery making. I. also helped with the concrete mixing and putting the metal pieces with the perspex on into the cement which wasn't as simple as we planned but as a group we found a solution which worked.  The wool was wrapped around the concrete columns to represent the wrapping and colour selection before a weave is made, I also did this on the jewellery. We took elements of the processes rather producing final pieces like a weave. The blue 3D print from Brendan Dawes' workshop was part of the sample table in the exhibition. I think our work in the exhibition represents our group well along with our name ' Heritage Revival'.

There was variety of key motivations throughout this project like the theme because it informed a lot of the materials and the processes because we made work based on the craft we had chosen. I think the key motivation as a group and individually was the workshops we put together, because before we did them we were working very individually. From doing the workshops, they brought our work together and started us of to continue working more freely and as a group. This has informed my practice and future ambitions because my weaknesses could bring on some good collaborations and allow me to work with a range of people with different skills; I have found that I really enjoy working in a group as it helps me to be a bit more experimental with my work, so will consider doing this more in the future.















Contextualisation:


Stonehenge.


The idea of huggable pillars.




Surface Pattern.










Comments

Popular Posts