Unit X Endangered Craft: Heritage Revival Research (1 of 6)

(1 of 6 Unit X Posts)

During the 'Uncomfortable conference' at the beginning of the unit our group was named 'Heritage Campaign' for the groups design collective, we didn't feel like we wanted to have a 'Campaign', instead we wanted to explore the theme using skills we already have along with any new skills we learn throughout the unit. We felt the word 'Revival' worked better than 'Campaign' because it's more of a celebration of the crafts and shows how important it is to keep crafts alive. We liked the word 'Heritage' because of it's traditional values and the more hand crafted feel.

As a group we decided that we are going to base our work on heritage architecture; we have started with looking at more traditional architecture but our considering looking at contemporary architecture so we have a stronger concept and more to work from. We are looking at the ornamental features of architecture and how things are being made to not last.


Group colour palette
I have chosen to respond to the Jewellery Making craft. I have chosen jewellery making because it's a craft I've always been interested in and always wanted to try; I am disappointed that it's on the endangered crafts list because I like the uniqueness and individuality that comes across with jewellery making; no two pieces are the same when hand crafted which is a particular reason why I am interested in this craft. 

An artist I looked at was 3D artist Emily Speed because she is inspired by architecture in her work and is decorating the body with it. It links well with my ideas but will adjust the idea of how the 3D pieces fall on the body.

Emily Speed
For my personal research I have looked at traditional architecture from the inside and outside of buildings and am very much influenced by both. I am concentrating more on the ceilings because of the detail and intricacy; I feel inspired by them the most because that's where my inspiration for my drawings are coming from. For my secondary research I have found many amazing traditional ceiling designs which gives me a vast amount of different shapes, lines and patterns to be influenced by. For my primary research I have searched through all the photos I have taken in the last few years during visits to cities like Manchester, London, Edinburgh, Florence and New York. The buildings are so different in each place but still all have the repetition, complexity and heritage look and feel to them.  

Secondary Research:
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-image-arch-ceiling-medieval-chapel-french-image30371471
Primary Research: New York
From my practical work, I plan to put the drawings from my sketchbook onto photoshop an turn them into repeat patterns, I will print these prints onto card and then manipulate them into shapes which are used within the architecture we are looking at. I would like the 3D structures I produce to be worn on the body like a piece of jewellery; architecture that adorns the body/wearing the architecture.


"We don't value craftsmanship anymore! All we value is ruthless efficiency, and I say we deny our own humanity that way! Without appreciation for grace and beauty, there's no pleasure in creating things and no pleasure in having them!" - Bill Watterson


Manifesto:

As a group we have decided to focus on architecture as our main theme whilst exploring crafts from the Radcliffe Red List. Understanding the definitions of heritage has enabled us to see that we could explore heritage through architecture. This has led to a focus on details, particularly tiles, lines and geometric shapes found in the architectural forms. Having concentrated on various crafts, we now plan to share out research and skills through group workshops, taking a more playful approach to sampling. By investigating materials and processes we hope to push the boundaries of making and create pieces that reflect the new techniques we have acquired.

Comments

Popular Posts